[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

RE: Internet Tunnel Question

Regarding attached....
I first saw this idea in a product description under
http://www.incog.com/spf.100.htm, the "Sun Screen"
firewall product.

I'm not convinced that this use of the Internet can be
justified by "Good Internet Citizens"....  it adds nothing
to the "community" yet subtracts bandwidth that was effectively
"donated" by other net citizens.  I cannot figure out how I'd
go about policing against it, however.  I guess a "GIC" could
pay for the bandwidth used by opening up trunks that, prior to
the use of encrypting firewalls and tunneling, were corporate
WAN trunks.  Of course, I can't imagine a corporation continuing
to pay for these trunks unless forced to somehow.  Who can
pass up a good windfall?

If this scheme becomes too popular, Internet access providers
will have to start charging more to cover the bandwidth and
there will be all types of interesting "interchange charges"
at the boundaries between access providers and backbone
providers and....  what a mess.  Hopefully the "laws of large
numbers" will allow capacity pricing to average everything out.
We can't afford tracking packets to achieve "true" usage-based
fees.

-Chuck